I've always had a soft spot for fringing when done well, and I have recently turned this into a minor obsession.
It started about a year ago when fringe was the thing, I went crazy when I first saw this lace and fringe jacket from Topshop and, at £150 I instantly started dreaming ways I could conjure up the money to buy it. Sadly I didn't and although I regret it, it is definitely something I am intending to make (or find a cheaper alternative).
Sorry this is the best picture I could find since it was over a year ago when it was first on sale.
I haven’t stopped this fringing obsession though, no no no, I purchased recently this fringing bag from River Island.
I LOVE it, £35 that is a bit steep when I have a car to feed, but I think it was worth it none the less. The fringe strips are beautifully woven and knotted together creating a gorgeous grid pattern at the top of the bag, and yet the bag has a nice shape and straps, not forgetting of course the crucial fringing at the bottom. This is inspiring me very much so to try my own in maybe a peppermint colour tshirt, I think its something that could be really easy yet beautiful to do. I’ll let you know how this potential project goes post exam madness.
River Island knows how to do fringing. I say this because I went in there innocently too see about returning a dress (see previous blog) and I stumbled across this absolutely beautiful dress. I feel a hole in my purse coming along.
It really is GORGEOUS. I’m thinking biker boots leather jacket and my black leather stud bag (I would stay fringe bag, but I think that’s pushing it).
Again its £35 something I cant bear to pay for right now until I can bag some over time in work (damn petrol prices). It is truly gorgeous in person though, I don’t think that the picture does it much justice if I’m honest, it truly is pretty.
Being myself handy with a sewing machine, a pair of scissors and a bit of imagination, I decided to attempt some fringing my self a while back and I think it worked very well.
In a quick half an hour’s work I managed to transform an oversized t-shirt into a fringed vest. Sadly I can’t take better pictures of it at the moment as it has been submitted in for exam work for my textiles a-level. The best part about this vest for anyone interested in making is that it requires no sewing at all, just a few instructions and some patience with the scissors. Here it is.
This is a model wearing the vest I made it was submitted into the college fashion show I organized (but that’s a whole other blog let me tell you :P). I think it looked great on the model, even considering she put it on backwards, in the craziness backstage I’m just grateful she got it on.
Here’s a better picture of the vest the right way on, the idea is you can wear a crazy jewelled or studded belt over the middle band. I personally think its great; it can bring instant fringe glamour to your wardrobe for the price of a baggy Primark t-shirt, and half an hour’s work with a nice cup of tea.
I’ll be posting some simple instructions in about a months time, I would do it now, but id prefer to remake it and photograph it in the process to accompany the picture, and with exams sadly that isn’t going to happen now.
I hope you like the idea though, hopefully I will be posting a fringe bag around the same time since that’s another project I’m desperate to complete.
Stay creative xx
No comments:
Post a Comment